Our passion and love for Weir Farm is at the heart of everything we do, and has fueled our commitment to support the park. Since our founding in 2015, we have proudly developed many projects and programs for this historic treasure.
- Developed the ‘Art Bears’ outdoor art exhibit featuring eight life-size silhouettes of black bears installed in the Weir Farm NHP landscape and clad in colorful paintings of Weir Farm by contemporary artists. The installation inspires connections between art and nature and serves as interpretative exhibits for the growing presence of black bears in Connecticut.
- Hosted CT’s Historic Gardens Day celebration at Weir Farm to showcase the park’s four historic gardens and their connection to art.
- Expanded the Friends of Weir Farm Student Art Scholarship program and awarded scholarship stipends to seven talented graduating local high school seniors who demonstrate excellence in visual art. The prestigious scholarship is awarded annually to recognize exceptional achievement in visual art, encourage artistic talent, and foster the creative spirit in our local area youth.
- Donated funds to provide supplies and enhance the interpretive art easel exhibit in a new Visitor Center installation.
- Hosted wildly successful Beer with Weir “friend-raising” event at Nod Hill Brewery, celebrating the inaugural release of Friends of Weir Farm India Pale Ale with a signature label featuring the work of local artist Bobbi Mullen. The first-year event was open to the public, offered family-friendly art activities and promoted information about Weir Farm NHP.
- Celebrated the passage of bills H.R. 5852 and S. 3265 changing Weir Farm’s designation from National Historic Site to National Historical Park. Bill approved by House of Representatives on 12/17/2020 and passed the Senate on 12/20/20. President Trump signed the re-designation bill into law on January 5, 2021.
- Collaborated with Groundwork Bridgeport and park staff to relocate old park benches along restored historic waterfront property.
- Launched monthly e-news communications to our Friends lists using Constant Contact to promote key events and feature topics.
- Welcomed Connecticut’s Plein Air Painters and Watercolor Society to a paint-out at Weir Farm NHP.
- Recognized by Fairfield County Bank as one of the Top 150 Charities that support the Fairfield County community. Event celebrated 150th anniversary of Fairfield County Bank.
- Worked closely with representatives from the U.S. Mint, the community and park staff to launch the 2020 Connecticut state quarter in the “America the Beautiful” series featuring Weir Farm, A National Park for Art. Designed a unique announcement campaign to promote and commemorate the 2020 CT Quarter.
- Led the initiative, collaborating with Weir Farm Art Alliance and United States congressional delegates, to introduce a bill in both the Senate and House of Representatives to change the park’s designation from Weir Farm National Historic Site to Weir Farm National Historical Park to better represent the park’s complex cultural, natural and recreational resources to the public.
- Awarded the annual Friends of Weir Farm Student Art Scholarship to recognize artistic excellence to two high school seniors whose creativity and artistic vision continue the legacy of Julian Alden Weir and Weir Farm NHP.
- Launched a letter campaign to state officials and local communities detailing the impact of the U.S. Government Shutdown on the park and community, and advocated on behalf of the park for a speedy resolution.
- Collaborated with family members and Weir Farm Art Alliance to acquire J. Alden Weir’s painting, Early Moonrise (circa 1891), and added this stunning painting to the park’s collection.
- Purchased supplemental interpretative materials for the Young Studio, including two etched copper engraving plates and tools for use in interpreting in the engraving room.
- Created engaging materials and organized five new Junior Ranger Family Fun Days to encourage opportunities to observe, explore, and appreciate the park’s natural and cultural resources.
- Supported the NPS “Healthy Park, Healthy People” initiative by donating a dozen rustic wooden hiking sticks, to invite visitors of all ages to borrow a stick, “Take a Hike” and explore the Weir Farm landscape and woodlands.
2015 – 2018
- Created the Weir Star Service Award to recognize exceptional service excellence to Weir Farm NHP. Presented the Weir Star Service Awards to five outstanding interns.
- Raised funds and collaborated with park curatorial staff to finalize the Weir Barn Historic Furnishing Plan and open the historic barn to the public for the remainder of the season.
- Hosted Junior Rangers of all ages in “Junior Ranger 101” activities at Weir Farm NHP as part of National Park Week.
- Supported the National Park Service BioBlitz initiative by helping to bring over 350 fourth graders to explore and survey the natural resources at Weir Farm NHP. Provided lunch and logistical support to 150 park volunteers during the event.
- Funded historic furnishings research for the Weir House Kitchen to help the park restore the room to its circa 1940 appearance.
Show Your Support and Join Us
Friends share a passion for Weir Farm NHP and are dedicated to supporting the park.
We invite you to join us!